The Ostbelgien Model
- Face-to-Face, Online, or Both?
- General Type of Method
- Long-term civic bodies
- Open to All or Limited to Some?
- Limited to Only Some Groups or Individuals
- Recruitment Method for Limited Subset of Population
- Stratified Random Sample
- Number of Participants
- Medium size groups
- Types of Interaction Among Participants
- Discussion, Dialogue, or Deliberation
- Negotiation & Bargaining
- Decision Methods
- If Voting
- Majoritarian Voting
- Scope of Implementation
- Level of Polarization This Method Can Handle
- High polarization
- Level of Complexity This Method Can Handle
- High Complexity
The ‘O-Model’, used for the first time in Eupen, Belgium, comprises a Citizens’ Council (Bürgerrat) and a Citizens’ Assembly which operate in parallel with the regional parliament.