The Institute of International Sociology of Gorizia is a non-profit cultural institution founded in 1968. ISIG work develops through research, planning, consultancy, training for local development, international cooperation and the promotion of peaceful coexistence.
Mission and Purpose
ISIG believes in a future of peaceful relations based on mutual recognition, which derives from the interpretation of differences as resources that enrich.
The ISIG Statute translated the vision and tasks of the Institute into the following general objectives:
- To carry out sociological research at national and international levels, to gather scientific knowledge on the problems arising from relations between states, ethnic groups and on the cultural, economic and social development of communities;
- To organise conferences to disseminate this knowledge;
- To give local authorities and relevant national and international agencies recommendations aimed at promoting the cultural, economic and social development of communities;
- To organise postgraduate courses, training courses, scientific seminars and specialisation courses for professionals and academics involved in the issues that are the subject of the Institute’s studies and researches.
Origins and Development
Thanks to the stimulus and passionate commitment of his creator and first director, prof. Franco Demarchi, ISIG was established in 1968 as an association among the Municipality of Gorizia, the Province of Gorizia, the Gorizia Savings Bank (subsequently taken over by the Foundation Gorizia Savings Bank), the Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Handicrafts and Agriculture of Gorizia.
ISIG received the legal personality in 1985 (Decree by the President of the Regional Council n.0201/Pres. dated 17.4.1985) and is registered at n.86 of the regional Register of Legal Persons.
Specializations, Methods and Tools
The Institute of International Sociology of Gorizia (ISIG) is a non-profit cultural institution.
ISIG work develops through research, planning, consultancy, project implementation, training, organization of conferences and seminars.
The Institute is rooted in the regional context, but operates in an international framework and is recognized as a center of excellence in the study of international relations and cross-border cooperation, ethnic and minority relations, peace and conflict resolution, society and of social policies, of the economy and of local development, of democracy and of civil society, of the territory and of the management of environmental risk, of the future and of forecasting techniques.
- ISIG, Council of Europe; ReBuS – Resilience Building Strategies; Toolkit, 2021.
- ISIG, Council of Europe Office in Albania; Mainstreaming of the 12 principles of Good Governance in Public Administration Training; Research Report; 2019.
- ISIG, Council of Europe; Civil Participation in Decision-Making, Toolkit, 2017.
- ISIG, Council of Europe; City-To-City Cooperation Toolkit; Toolkit; 2015.