Scottish Community Development Centre
- Scope of Operations & Activities
- Non-Profit or Non Governmental
- General Issues
- Planning & Development
- Social Welfare
- Official Website
- General Types of Methods
- Community development, organizing, and mobilization
- Public budgeting
- General Types of Tools/Techniques
- Propose and/or develop policies, ideas, and recommendations
- Manage and/or allocate money or resources
The Scottish Community Development Centre is the leading organization for community development, working at different levels with partners to improve community relations and citizen engagement. They also deliver national programmes meant to reduce poverty and social exclusion.
Mission and Purpose
SCDC’s vision is for an active, inclusive and just Scotland where communities are strong, equitable and sustainable.
SCDC’s mission is supporting best practice in community development. Their three key priorities for achieving their mission are to:
- Influence policy by researching issues and contributing to government working groups and committees on related policy issues
- Work with agencies and partnerships to achieve effective community engagement and community participation
- Build strong, healthy, sustainable and equitable communities
Their role in supporting best practice in community development operates at four levels:
- with policy makers who set the conditions within which community development is practiced
- with public bodies and partnerships whose work is informed by community development principles
- with dedicated community development agencies and their staff in the voluntary and statutory sector directly
- with community groups and organisations
At all these levels, SCDC promotes the core principles and values of community development.
Origins and Development
The Scottish Community Development Centre (SCDC) launched as a Company Ltd by Guarantee and registered Charity in Scotland on the 1st July 2009. Previously a partnership between the Community Development Foundation (CDF) and the University of Glasgow, SCDC is now a vibrant new charity in its own right with its activities based firmly in Scotland. Recognised by the Scottish Government as the national lead body for community development and with a track record of seventeen years of activity, SCDC is now set to further establish itself as a centre of excellence for community development nationally.
Organizational Structure, Membership, and Funding
Specializations, Methods and Tools
Major Projects and Events
Analysis and Lessons Learned
 European Community Development Network. (n.d.) Scottish Community Development Centre. Retrieved from http://eucdn.net/members/scottish-community-development-centre/