Exhausted by the polarized fighting over just about everything, We the People of Canada was established to create a way to identify the existing consensus & then expand it. Now also an initiative to reform our democracy, and document our ideals & intentions in a new constitution.
Mission and Purpose
The mission and purpose of We the People of Canada (WTPofC) is to transform democracy in Canada, and to transform the way that people as a whole function.
- Instead of dividing into polarized camps, they want the general consensuses that already exist to come to the fore.
- Instead of discussions being angry debates that entrench people into their positions, they want people to instinctively identify and explore all of the interests, and then collaboratively come up with solutions that best satisfy their interests.
- Instead of governments being closed off to people, they want governments to receive information and instructions from people 24/7.
- Instead of answering simplified questions on a form mailed by MPs, they want to harness the power of the Internet to enable people to participate in democracy to whatever extent they want, whenever they want.
- Instead of voting for a representative for all issues once every 4 years, and maybe not getting the representative that we wanted, they want to establish a liquid democracy format so that people can freely choose who they delegate to, issue by issue, moment by moment.
Origins and Development
In early October 2019, Blain Cellars endeavored to create a website to help people discuss issues in a different way. Cellars had been working with high conflict separated parents for 17 years, using interest based mediation and parenting coordination, discovering that people are not as polarized as it seems. When the domain name wethepeople came to Cellars, they started a journey of discovering what many people were already doing in relation to reforming democracy, with the scope growing over time.
Organizational Structure, Membership, and Funding
No organization has been formally created. Cellars is collaborating to establish a foundation from which to grow. We the People of Canada has no funding; all participants are volunteering their time, and the only expense was to register the domain name, which the founder covered.
Specializations, Methods and Tools
They have been searching for software options. Upon review, no available options so far incorporate everything that they think is needed for the envisioned democracy process to efficiently work. WTPofC are now looking for some programmers to help us piece together and create a custom platform.
Major Projects and Events
On January 16, 2020 we realized that all of the changes we want to establish should be documented in a constitution, and that all the things that other people are clamouring for, should be documented in a constitution, AND that the people of Canada should write it themselves, not the politicians.
During the months of January, February, and March 2020, WTPofC will be focused on identifying the leadership candidates of the Conservative Party of Canada that are committed to transformative democratic reform, and if there is not enough support for this within the current members of the party, to gather together enough people that DO share this vision and are willing to spend $15 on a membership to make it happen, and then vote as a block to put in place a leader that will make their desired transformation of democracy happen.
Analysis and Lessons Learned
Want to contribute an analysis of this organization? Help us complete this section!
Does this organization publish reports, studies, or other media? Help us complete this section!
This entry is missing citations. Please help us verify its content by adding footnotes.