The Metropolitan City (Law 56/2014) is an entity that replaces the Province, occupies its territory, its representatives are second level (there are no direct elections but it is an assembly of elected representatives in the municipalities). His theoretical approach is dialogic and inclusive.
Mission and Purpose
The Metropolitan City pursues these general institutional purposes:
- care of the strategic development of the metropolitan territory;
- promotion and integrated management of services, infrastructures and communication networks of interest to the metropolitan city;
- care of institutional relations pertaining to its own level, including those with European cities and metropolitan areas. li >
Law 56/2014 assigns to Metropolitan Cities, in addition to the fundamental functions of the Provinces, additional and important competences in the field of strategic and territorial planning, infrastructures and communication networks, services of public interest in the metropolitan area , coordinated systems of public services in agreement with the Municipalities, mobility and traffic, economic development, computerization and digitization.
Origins and Development
In implementation of law 56/2014, it is suben drawn to the Province of the same name from 1 January 2015 with the same territory made up of 67 Municipalities. From the same date, the Mayor of the chief town also assumed the functions of Metropolitan Mayor.
Organizational Structure, Membership, and Funding
The institutional bodies of the Metropolitan City are:
- the Metropolitan Mayor (office recognized by the mayor of the capital city, therefore Genoa)
- the Metropolitan Council: it is composed of the Mayor metropolitan and by 18 councilors elected by the mayors and municipal councilors of the municipalities of the metropolitan city; it is the organ of direction and control;
- the Metropolitan Conference is made up of the Metropolitan Mayor, who convenes and chairs it, and the Mayors of the Municipalities belonging to the Metropolitan City; has proactive and consultative powers.
The offices of Metropolitan Mayor, Metropolitan Councilor and member of the Metropolitan Conference are exercised free of charge.