PWAN enhances citizens’ participation and improves security governance in Nigeria and West Africa.
Mission and Purpose
Partners West Africa Nigeria (PWAN) is a non-governmental organization dedicated to enhancing citizen's participation and improving security governance in Nigeria and West Africa broadly. PWAN's vision is for there to be"robust good governance & accountable institutions in Nigeria and west Africa." The organiztion is located in Abuja, with a national and regional reach. PWAN is part of 19 national organizations around the world, united by common approaches including participatory decision making, collaborative advoaccy, consensus building and social entreprenuership for democratic governance.
Origins and Development
PWAN commenced operations on 2nd March, 2016
Organizational Structure, Membership, and Funding
When it started, the organization had four staff, but has grown to 15 full time staff and 2 interns in the Abuja office, while the Public Defenders' Office in Kano has 11 full time staff.
- US Embassy - Bureau of International Narcotics & Law Enforcement (INL)
- MacArthur Foundation
- British High Commission to Nigeria
Specializations, Methods and Tools
Know what areas this organization specializes in or what methods and tools they use? Help us complete this section!
Major Projects and Events
1. Social Accountability in the Judicial Sector 2016 - 2017 (Abuja & Kano)
2. Promoting Informed Dialogues in Security 2017 - 2018 (nationwide)
3. Greater Access to Defense and Justice 2017-2019 (Kano)
4. Enhancing Transparency in the Nigerian Judicial Sector (2017 - 2020) Abuja, Lagos & Ondo
Analysis and Lessons Learned
Want to contribute an analysis of this organization? Help us complete this section!
Rule of Law Program Area:
1.Policy Brief - Measures to Strengthen Accountability of Judicial Officials http://www.partnersnigeria.org/policy-brief-measures-to-strengthen-accou...
2. Policy Brief- Prevalence of Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) in Kano State, Nigeria
3. Newsletter- Public Defenders' Office http://www.partnersnigeria.org/newsletter-public-defenders-office/
Citizen Security program area
1. Non State Security Actors and Security Provisioning in Nigeria http://www.partnersnigeria.org/mapping-report-non-state-security-actors-...
2. Policy Brief- Citizen's Security and the Challenges of Promoting Informed Dialogue on Security in Nigeria http://www.partnersnigeria.org/policy-brief-citizens-security-and-the-ch...
This entry is missing citations. Please help us verify its content by adding footnotes.
Lead image: Partners West Africa Nigeria, http://bit.ly/2E5ueMU