An association founded in 2015 by a group of friends who are passionate about technology applied their skills to engineering, architecture, cultural heritage, archeology. Since 2017, with the entry of Poliba and the Municipality, it has expanded its functions and dimensions.
Mission and Purpose
Born as an application of a research and experimentation method of the "Center for Bits and Atoms" of MIT in Boston, the FabLab aims to be a:
- digital manufacturing hub operating in the sectors of industry, technological innovation, circular economy, etc.
- community, open and inclusive, for Artisans, Professionals, Companies, Researchers, Students;
- school for the philosophy and practice of digital manufacturing;
- workshop where ideas can be transformed into prototypes and products;
- technological library that promotes knowledge sharing and digital literacy;
- place of technical-scientific training where 'if I do I learn';
- center where heterogeneous and complementary training helps to develop innovative projects;
- site inspired by Do It YourSelf and Self Made.
Origins and Development
Created as an association in 2015 by the will of a group of friends in Bitonto who are passionate about technology applied to engineering, architecture, cultural heritage, it saw the entry in 2017 of Politecnico di Bari (Poliba) and the Municipality of Bitonto. The two new partners make it possible to increase the size, equipment and functions, without however losing its welcoming informality at the center. The activities take place in a modern building in the artisan area of Bitonto, in Viale delle Nazioni. From 2017, it has assumed larger functions and dimensions with the entrance of the Polytechnic of Bari and the Municipality of Bitonto. Now it is a center equipped with computers, complex machines and a library, where training, research and experimentation of prototypes is carried out, but also a community where various professions exchange experiences and knowledge.
Organizational Structure, Membership and Funding
No organizational structure is given on the website. The professor arch. Parisi was the scientific referent for the participatory process on the new Appea Bitonto, flanked by a staff of 3 facilitators also trained in architecture.
Specializations, Methods and Tools
The FabLab is a digital manufacturing hub operating in the sectors of:
- Industry 4.0
- Technological innovation
- Digital manufacturing
- Information and Communication Technology
- Internet of Things
- Circular Economy
Major Projects and Events
Analysis and Lessons Learned
Appea Bitonto: Participation and Management.
Fablab Poliba, https://www.fablabpoliba.org/ (ril. 23/8/20).